Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
One dish meal.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 cups noodles, uncooked
- 3 cups V8 vegetable juice or 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large frying pan or Ducth oven saute onion in butter until tender then add meat, brown lightly.
- Place noodles in a layer over meat.
- Combine tomato juice and seasonings and pour over noodles.
- Bring to a boil then cover.
- Simmer over low heat 30 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Stir in sour cream and mushrooms and bring to a boil.
- Serve hot.
This had a great flavor and turned out well. Perfect texture. I was not (and am still not) sure about the canned mushrooms. I think I would have preferred fresh.
This is easy and good, like a high-end Hamburger Helper!! It's great if you don't want to eat all the chemicals that they add to mixes like that. I used fresh crimini mushrooms instead of the canned and I cooked them after I had cooked down the onions a bit, seasoning both with salt and pepper. Used fiori pasta. I used V-8 low sodium juice and it still has plenty of salt in their low sodium version so I added just 1/2 tsp of the celery salt and kept all else the same. I ended up adding the whole 46 oz bottle of V-8 that I had because the pasta absorbed it all and I didn't want it to stick. I kept the heat on low because it really wanted to stick so watch this one and stir every once in a while! Love the creamy flavor that the sour cream adds. Great, quick recipe, thanks!!!
This was a pretty good dish and a quick one pan meal, which was nice! Kind of like a gourmet Hamburger Helper! I think if I make it again, I will use fresh mushrooms maybe sautee'd along with the onions in the beginning. Canned mushrooms are a little wierd in my book. overall, my super picky husband thought it was good, and my 2 year old Loved it!