Recipe by ChrisF
This is comfort food. When my husband's grandmother passed away 25 years ago a neighbor sent this over to my mother-in-laws house, it was very well received as all the other neighbors were sending over cakes, pies and jello salads. We have been making this ever since. Hint: Put this together the night before and finish it off when you get home from work.
Top Review by Suzanne Valerie
This was a big hit with my boys. They wanted me to make it again the next night! I did as one reader suggested and used cream of chicken as well as cream of mushroom soups. I also added the onion soup mix. I put corn , mushrooms and garlic powder in it along with a little chili powder for an added zing. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can water (rinse out soup can)
- 1 (8 ounce) packageof kolops noodles, cooked and drained (or any light and fluffy egg noodle)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 slices day-old white bread, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef in skillet.
- Season with onion powder, salt and pepper.
- After browning, add cream of chicken soup; mix well.
- Add one soup can full water and mix well.
- Simmer on low 25 minutes.
- Mix in cooked and drained noodles and transfer this to a buttered baking dish.
- Finish this off with the bread cubes toasted in the 1 tablespoon of butter in a clean skillet.
- Bake the casserole uncovered in 325° oven for 25 to 30 minutes.