Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in one of my cookbooks, its a family favorite when we don't have a lot of time to cook. It's also an inexpensive meal (approx. 98 cents per serving)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef, celery and onion until meat is no longer pink and celery is tender; drain.
- Stir in flour, salt, oregano and pepper until blended. Add tomato sauce and peas, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Separate biscuits, arrange over beef mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes for until biscuits are golden and cheese is melted.
I really liked this. 3 out of 4 kids agree! One is just anti-meat at the moment. ;) This was great. Super simple with easy ingredients. We used colby-jack cheese in place of the cheddar. This has become a new regular here. Made and Reviewed for 123 Hit Wonders - Thanks! :)
I chose this recipe for the ease of preparation, and the hope that my grandson would like it It delivered on both counts. I omitted the celery (he doesn't like celery) and bumped up the onions. I also halved this recipe with no problem. It was just enough for us. I think, the next time I make this I may use frozen mixed veggies. Thanks for posting barefootmommawv. Sue