Recipe by Derf
These meat loaves and meatballs were wonderful to have in the freezer when the boys were living at home, time savers! I still make them once in a while for quick suppers in the freezer.
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 7 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 8 lbs ground beef
- seasoning (herbs etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 8 ingredients.
- Add ground beef and mix well.
- Divide meat mixture in half.
- For meatloaf: Shape half the meat mixture into 3 loaves and place in a large high sided baking dish.
- Don't allow the loaves to touch while baking.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Cool, wrap in heavy duty foil, label and freeze.
- To serve, thaw loaves and bake in 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- For meatballs: Shape into meatballs, using cookie scoop if available.
- Place on broiler pan so fat can drain while cooking.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Divide into meal size portions.
- Freeze in single layer on cookie sheets until individually frozen.
- Then freeze meal size portions in bags.
- Add any of your favourite seasonings, herbs etc., to your taste. (We like Italian seasoning and I usually add some cayenne pepper).