Recipe by Timothy H.
The crust for this unusual pie is made of celery, grated Parmesan cheese and croutons! Kids just love this!
Top Review by breezermom
I loved the taste of this, but made a few changes. My DS complained that it wouldn't "stick together"....it kept falling off his fork when he tried to eat it. I used spaghetti sauce instead of catsup, and increased the quantity because I had more than a pound of ground beef. I also used extra garlic. Next time I will also add a little shredded mozzarella to the meat, to try and hold it together. I enjoyed this, and will definitely try it again. Made for All New Zaar Cookbook Tag!
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups seasoned croutons
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons catsup
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauteé the chopped celery in butter for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from pan, set aside.
- Brown the hamburger and drain off the fat. In a bowl stir in the croutons, Parmesan cheese and the beaten egg.
- Spread this mixture over the bottom of a buttered 9 inch pie pan.
- Mix the ground beef, garlic, onion, oregano, catsup, salt and pepper. (Please Note! You can use your favorite spaghetti sauce instead of catsup if you prefer). Place this mixture on top of the crust in the pie pan.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes at 350°F
- Remove from the oven and turn up the temperature to 400°F
- Cover the pie with the sliced mozzarella cheese slices and bake for 5 minutes until cheese is bubbling or melted.