Recipe by Pesto lover
I made this one winter day when I couldn't decide what to do with 2 lbs of ground beef that I had. I put it into a large Le Creuset dutch oven and it took 2 1/2 hours for the potatoes and carrots to cook through.. The family liked it.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 potatoes, med to lg size, peeled and sliced very thick
- 5 carrots, large, peeled and sliced very thick
- 2 cups lima beans, frozen
- 4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef consomme (not broth)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat in olive oil with onion.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning, chili powder and parsley and stir for 2 minutes. Add can of tomatoes, with juice, and stir. Remove from heat.
- In a very large, heavy, dutch oven, pour in consomme. Place one layer of potatoes and then carrots. Salt & pepper them lightly.
- Add a layer of prepared meat.
- Top meat with lima bean layer and then more potatoes and carrots. Season again, lightly.
- Continue layering until everything is used up, but reserve 1 1/2 c of meat, which will be the top layer of the casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 2 1/2 hours or until carrots and potatoes are cooked through.