Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
Instead of using pita bread this is made with pizza dough using ground beef, mushrooms, feta cheese and olives rolled into a pizza crust, you can substitute the feta for 2 cups (or more or less) mozzarella cheese if desired.
- 2 -4 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or a combo of beef and ground pork)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushrooms, well drained and coarsely chopped
- 7 -8 ounces feta cheese (can use less or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped olives, divided (green or black)
- 1 large prepared pizza dough (or use two 10-ounce cans refrigerated pizza crusts)
- oil, for brushing
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided (or to taste)
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided (or to taste)
- In a large skillet cook the beef with garlic, onion and red pepper flakes until browned (about 10-12 minutes) drain fat.
- Add in oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, chopped parsley, Parmesan cheese and chopped mushrooms; cook for about 2-3 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
- If you are using homemade pizza dough, then separate into two even pieces.
- Roll out prepared pizza dough into TWO 11 x 7-inch rectangles.
- Sprinkle HALF the crumbled feta cheese (or mozza cheese if using) on the top of one crust, then HALF of the olives on top of the feta cheese, then spoon HALF of the beef mixture on top of the olives.
- Roll up starting at the long end, sealing both edges as you roll.
- Seal the seam across the roll and then tuck both edges under.
- Repeat with the remaining pizza dough and remaining fillings.
- Place the gyrolls on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Lightly brush with oil, then sprinkle each with about 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (these amounts do not have to be exact).
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 5 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and continue baking for about 35 minutes more, or until golden.
I added my own blend of garlic, onion, mushrooms, green peppers *as per usual* but everything else about this recipe was simple and delicious.
I didn't have any pizza crust on hand, but I did have a tube of breadsticks w/garlic butter spread. PERFECT! If you want to serve this as a party dish then the breadsticks are best - they very easily pull into single serve rolls.
I sauteed some mushroom caps with some fresh basil and layered that at the bottom of the roll so it would be in the middle. The garlic spread really made the crust flaky and light. I will definitely make this again and plan on having fun experimenting with other ingredients!
This was incredibly delicious! Made for my sister's birthday and we all loved it. Hubby said it was a keeper and wanted to eat it all. I did half the recipe and used 1 10-ounce can refrigerated pizza crust. Made it exactly as written and it was perfect.
Made as directed with the substitution of mozzarella cheese. I was concerned that an 11x7 section of dough wouldn't be large enough for all the meat and cheese. However, it was just the right amount of dough for the filling and baked in the time given. My husband has asked that I make this often and suggested that next time I make them as individual size rolls to be eaten like a sandwich. I think next time I will serve them with Tzatili sauce.