For great tasting enchiladas with homemade sauce, you have to try this one! It's the only one I make!
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 6 ounces sliced olives
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- In skillet put in shortening and melt, add flour and cook just until lightly browned (be careful don't do it to long).
- Add seasonings making a paste.
- Add water gradually then add tomato sauce and add beef granules.
- Cook until thick stirring constantly.
- In separate skillet, cook ground beef and onions until done; drain.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place 1/2 cup oil in pan and heat.
- Heat the tortillas in oil, one by one.
- Dip the tortillas in the sauce.
- Add 2 or 3 tablespoons ground beef mixture to each tortilla and a sprinkle of olives to each and a little sprinkle of cheese.
- In a 9x13 pan spread a thin layer of sauce on bottom.
- Roll up enchiladas and place in pan.
- Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce and cheese and sprinkle with olives.
- Bake in oven at 350°F degrees for 30 minutes.