Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe my mom used to make when I was a kid and I always loved it.
- 8 tortillas
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or colby jack)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 ounces chopped mild green chilies
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Cook and stir hamburger in skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from heat and drain.
- Stir into hamburger the onion, cheese, sour cream, parsley, salt, and pepper. Do not put back onto burner.
- Heat remaining ingredients (except water) to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
- In large skillet, heat oil on medium, place tortillas in oil to saturate both sides (do not let tortillas crisp up). Remove from oil.
- Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides in ungreased oblong baking dish.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup hamburger mixture onto each tortilla, roll tortilla around filling.
- Arrange in ungreased oblong baking dish with seam side down.
- Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas and add a little water at a time. Do not drown your enchiladas.
- Cook uncovered in 350 degrees oven, about 35 minutes.
This recipe tastes like it was created by a person that does not cook Mexican food or eat Mexican food. There is not much flavor that makes me think Mexican food. It is a good meal for a family that doesn't eat Mexican food much. It needs to have double tortillas so the meat doesn't fall out and to give the meal more texture. The meat mixture will make about 18 enchiladas. Overall this recipe is ok. I think I will make it again but do a lil tweaking.
These were fantastic. I also added some bell pepper to mine, and I then made the awesome red enchilada sauce recipe from Allrecipes.com. Thanks for sharing this keeper!
I haven't actually eaten this myself, but I made to take to my cousin who just has surgery. She said they were delicious. I did taste some of the meat mixture and it was very good. Thanks and I'm sure I'll make again.