Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
To serve a crowd double all ingredients and bake in a large casserole dish. To save time prepare the ground beef filling up to a day in advance just warm slightly when ready to use. see Kittencal's Red Enchilada or Taco Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (or to taste or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas (cut into about 1-1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned sliced black olives
- 1 1⁄4 cups red enchilada sauce (I use my own recipe for this)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese (or use a Mexi-blend cheese)
- 2 firm tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato
- chopped sweet onion
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease an 11 x 7-inch casserole dish.
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef with the green chiles, onions, garlic, bell pepper, dried chili flakes (if using) and chili powder; cook over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain fat completely (you can prepare this mixture up to a day in advance and refrigerate).
- Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to taste then transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in the tortilla pieces with cream of mushroom soup, black olives, enchilada sauce, sour cream and 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese; mix to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Cover and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with about 2 cups (or more of shredded cheese then chopped tomatoes.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered until casserole is bubbly and the cheese has melted (about 8-10 minutes).
- Serve with toppings.
Well as always, any Kittencal recipe is a winner and I will add this one to the list...SO GOOD!! I used Recipe #31811 for the sauce. Thanks so much for posting!
Holy cheeseballs! What a great supper! Made as written! Great the second time around too, as the heat really kicks up overnight. :)
As always, a real winner, Kittencal! Thanks for another great family dinner :)