- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, Chopped (1 Large)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 cups apples, Cored, Chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon, Instant
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup rice, Regular, Uncooked
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- peanuts, Chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut (optional)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon chutney, Chopped
- Cook and stir the meat and onion in a Dutch oven until the meat is brown.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Stir in the UNDRAINED tomatoes and the remaining ingredients except the peanuts, breaking up the tomatoes when you add them.
- TO COOK THE DUTCH OVEN: Heat the mixture to boiling then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. (A small amount of water can be added if necessary.) Garnish with the chopped peanuts just before serving.
- TO COOK IN THE OVEN: Turn the mixture into an ungreased 3-quart casserole.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F., stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, about 45 to 55 minutes.
- Garnish with the chopped peanuts just before serving.
This was very yummy! I'm eating seconds right now. It could have used more curry for our liking and we didn't have any peanuts for garnish or the chutney. I will definitely be making this again and will have all the ingredients on hand. This is a fantastic "budget friendly" warm meal and I added a little natural peanut butter to my kids and they ate it so another plus ;) . I think that if you are not sure if you like curry but like a slightly sweet and spicy all in one stove top meal... definitely give this a try. Thanks for posting GothicGranola, you had this up for an hour and just in time for supper :D