Prep 15 mins
Cook 32 mins
A rich authentic tasting curry, but easy to make.
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups pureed onions (2 large)
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato puree (2 large plus 1 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 3 ounces raw sugar (1/2 cup chopped and packed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried mint
- Heat oil in a medium heavy bottomed frying pan on medium high heat for 1 minute. Add onions and saute, stirring regularly, for 15 minutes until brown. Add tomatoes, cumin, salt, turmeric and cayenne and saute for 5 minutes until oil glistens.
- Add cream, stir well and cook for 4-5 minutes. Break up ground beef and add it to curry. Cook for 6 minutes, then check to make sure beef is cooked to desired tenderness ( don't over cook beef or it will become hard and loose tenderness).
- Stir in raw sugar and mint, cook until sugar melts into beef. Turn off heat. Cool 5 minutes cover with lid. Serve with basmati rice.
- (I prefer to use canned or jarred pureed tomatoes in this dish. If you cannot find raw sugar use a couple pinches of granulated sugar -- sometimes I like to omit the sugar all together.).
- Can use lean ground beef if extra lean is not available.