Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The filling for these chimichangas is delicious! Adjust all seasonings to suit taste, I add in 2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped in with the ground beef mixture for extra flavor and heat but that is only optional. The amounts listed are enough for 6 chimichangas you can double the complete recipe, but keep the garlic amount no more than 2 tablespoons. These are really good!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 bell pepper (seeded and chopped, use red or green)
- 2 tablespoons oil (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons cumin (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup salsa (mild or spicy)
- 1 cup canned corn kernel, well drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups refried beans
- 1 cup canned black beans (rinsed and well drained)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- oil (for frying)
- shredded lettuce (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (any amount desired)
- sour cream (any amount desired)
- In a skillet cook the ground beef with onion, garlic and bell pepper until no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add in 1-2 tablespoons oil, chili powder, cumin, thyme and cayenne; cook stirring until well browned (about 10-12 minutes) season with seasoned salt (or white salt) and black pepper.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and salsa; cook stirring for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add in corn, refried beans and black beans; stir with wooden spoon until heated through (about 5-6 minutes) season with more salt and pepper if desired; remove from heat.
- Place about 1/2 cup ground beef filling down the middle of each tortilla; fold opposite sides of the tortilla to center over the beef mixture, then fold ends toward center; secure with a toothpick; place on a plate and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Heat about 2-inches oil in a heavy skillet until 375°F.
- Fry 1-2 chimichangas at a time in hot oil about 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place a bed of shredded lettuce onto a large serving plate or dish (this is only optional) then top with chimichangas.
- Sprinkle each hot chimichanga with cheddar cheese then dollop with sour cream.
- Serve with salsa and/or guacamole if desired.