The filling for these chimichangas is delicious! Adjust all seasonings to suit taste, I add in 2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped in with the ground beef mixture for extra flavor and heat but that is only optional. The amounts listed are enough for 6 chimichangas you can double the complete recipe, but keep the garlic amount no more than 2 tablespoons. These are really good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 bell pepper (seeded and chopped, use red or green)
- 2 tablespoons oil (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons cumin (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1/2-3/4 cup salsa (mild or spicy)
- 1 cup canned corn kernel, well drained
- 1 1/2 cups refried beans
- 1 cup canned black beans (rinsed and well drained)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- oil (for frying)
- shredded lettuce (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (any amount desired)
- sour cream (any amount desired)
- 1In a skillet cook the ground beef with onion, garlic and bell pepper until no longer pink; drain fat.
- 2Add in 1-2 tablespoons oil, chili powder, cumin, thyme and cayenne; cook stirring until well browned (about 10-12 minutes) season with seasoned salt (or white salt) and black pepper.
- 3Add in chopped tomatoes and salsa; cook stirring for about 15-20 minutes.
- 4Add in corn, refried beans and black beans; stir with wooden spoon until heated through (about 5-6 minutes) season with more salt and pepper if desired; remove from heat.
- 5Place about 1/2 cup ground beef filling down the middle of each tortilla; fold opposite sides of the tortilla to center over the beef mixture, then fold ends toward center; secure with a toothpick; place on a plate and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- 6Heat about 2-inches oil in a heavy skillet until 375°F.
- 7Fry 1-2 chimichangas at a time in hot oil about 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- 8Place a bed of shredded lettuce onto a large serving plate or dish (this is only optional) then top with chimichangas.
- 9Sprinkle each hot chimichanga with cheddar cheese then dollop with sour cream.
- 10Serve with salsa and/or guacamole if desired.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ground Beef, Corn and Black Bean Chimichangas
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 507.6
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 56.4 mg
- Sodium 1158.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 27.1 g