Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Reminds me of my childhood.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (or paste)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 cups chow mein noodles (or hot cooked rice)
- Brown and drain ground beef.
- Add celery, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, mushrooms, broth, pimientos, soy sauce and ginger; heat over medium heat and mix well.
- In a small bowl or jar, mix cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into beef mixture. Cook until it is bubbly and slightly thickened.
- Serve over chow mein noodles or cooked rice.
My family really enjoyed this. Maybe I will add some sauteed green onions to this dish next time. I also added some frozen pea pods which gave the dish a bit of color.
We love this!!! I doubled the recipe and have made this several times now. I did not use the Water Chestnuts because I do not like them.
oh wow! simple as it gets and yet...exactly what I remember eating when I was a kid!!! This recipe is perfect for personalizing and I used 1/4 head of cabbage, half a large onion, three celery stalks finely chopped and two pounds of hamburgers (the only veggies I had on hand and more to our taste anyway). The perfect amount for a family of four just don't expect a lot of leftovers! LOVE IT!!!