Recipe by Brandess
I was surprised to see that there are so many burrito casseroles on Zaar, but no one has posted an actual beef burrito recipe. Here is my recipe for the much loved Ground Beef Burrito! The key to this burrito in achieving that authentic Mexican flavor and mouth feel, is in the method for cooking the ground beef. If you decide to brown your ground beef or follow the directions on the spice package, you will end up with a totally different product.
Top Review by Janet T
We love our burrito made this way. I used my own homemade taco seasoning, added a bay leaf during boiling/simmer time & removed it when it was done. My Mexican hubs says his mother also boil/simmer down ground beef this way, it makes the meat soft fine texture. I also tried this with ground turkey the only thing i do differently is add a teaspoon of better than beef bullion and eliminate salt in my homemade taco seasoning and add a little chopped bellpeper.
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 5⁄8 ounces dry burrito mix (1.62 ounce package McCormick Burrito Seasoning Mix. Can substitute with Taco Seasoning Mix - the Best!)
- 3⁄4-1 cup water, warm (Up to 1 cup. The more water added, the longer cooking time to boil it down.)
TORTILLA and CONDIMENTS
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup four-cheese Mexican blend cheese (Kraft fancy shred)
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced into thin rings
- 8 tablespoons salsa (Authentic Mexican Salsa)
Directions See How It's Made
- With your clean hands start by adding 3/4 to 1 cup of warm water and the burrito seasoning packet in a large pot. Place the raw hamburger in the liquid and use your hands to break all down so there are no chunks. Bring the mixture to a full boil then reduce the heat and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Place a tortilla on a plate and cover with a damp towel. Microwave on high for 15 seconds. Remove tortilla from the microwave, uncover. Slightly off center of the tortilla, spread on 2 tablespoons of sour cream on the tortilla. Place 1/4 of the ground beef on top of the sour cream. Place 1/4 cup of the cheese blend on top of the ground beef. Sprinkle on tomatoes and green onions. Top with 2 tablespoons of Recipe #311703.
- Fold the front of the tortilla over the filling. Tuck the left and right sides of the tortilla inside as you roll. Roll the belly on top of the back so the weight of the filling holds it together. Use a small piece of masking tape if necessary, but remember to use only edible tape. : ).