Great Fall comfort food. The prep time is so long mainly because I have included the baking of the squash while you are preparing the other ingredients. The cooking time is the final baking time. Enjoy!
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut each of the squash in half and remove the seeds and fibers.
- Place the squash, cut sides down, in an ungreased baking pan.
- Then add water to the depth of 1/4-inch and bake, uncovered, until the squash is tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- While the squash is baking, cook and stir the meat in a large skillet until it is brown.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the 1 1/2 ts of salt as well as the cinnamon, the coarsely chopped tart apples and the raisins.
- When the squash is cooked, turn them so that the cut side is up and remove them to a platter.
- Drain off any remaining liquid in the pan and dry.
- Scoop out the pulp from the acorn squash, making a shell that is 1/4-inch thick all the way around.
- Season the shells with salt to taste.
- Mash the pulp and mix in the meat mixture.
- Return to the shells, piling them full and sprinkle with 1 tb of brown sugar on each.
- Drizzle with the melted butter.
- Bake uncovered until the apple is tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- NOTE: You can substitute a combination of 1/2 lb lean ground beef and 1/2 lb of bulk pork sausage for the 1 lb of lean ground beef.