Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great Fall comfort food. The prep time is so long mainly because I have included the baking of the squash while you are preparing the other ingredients. The cooking time is the final baking time. Enjoy!
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups apples, pared and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut each of the squash in half and remove the seeds and fibers.
- Place the squash, cut sides down, in an ungreased baking pan.
- Then add water to the depth of 1/4-inch and bake, uncovered, until the squash is tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- While the squash is baking, cook and stir the meat in a large skillet until it is brown.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the 1 1/2 ts of salt as well as the cinnamon, the coarsely chopped tart apples and the raisins.
- When the squash is cooked, turn them so that the cut side is up and remove them to a platter.
- Drain off any remaining liquid in the pan and dry.
- Scoop out the pulp from the acorn squash, making a shell that is 1/4-inch thick all the way around.
- Season the shells with salt to taste.
- Mash the pulp and mix in the meat mixture.
- Return to the shells, piling them full and sprinkle with 1 tb of brown sugar on each.
- Drizzle with the melted butter.
- Bake uncovered until the apple is tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- NOTE: You can substitute a combination of 1/2 lb lean ground beef and 1/2 lb of bulk pork sausage for the 1 lb of lean ground beef.
Easy to make, we loved it. I used ground pork, as it's what we had on hand. The rest was exactly as written. I would make this again!
This is similar to a recipe I use often. I add a little brown sugar and omit that cinnamon.
We found this to be a delicious fall meal. It has such a gourmet feal to it, without being difficult to whip up. I used craisins and walnuts. We found the taste to be perfect, not too sweat as others have commented.