Recipe by dragonflydmc
I was given this family favorite recipe almost 40 years ago. It's easy to prepare, cooks fairly quickly and the flavors of the ground beef, squash, tomatoes, onions & rice are beautiful together! Serve it with a simple salad and cornbread and you have a meal! And you don't even have to brown the ground beef!
Top Review by christinajrn
This was a good dish to use up a lot of zucchini and summer squash that I had on hand. It uses staple ingredients, was easy to make, and to my husband and I it tasted like comfort food. The flavors blend nicely, and the texture was similar to a stew. One skillet of this and you have a complete meal.
- 8 -10 medium summer squash, sliced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash about 1/4 inch thick.
- In a large skillet, layer ingredients in the following order: tomatoes, tomato sauce, onions, water and seasonings. Stir. Add squash, then rice. Crumble ground beef on top. (Steam will cook the ground beef & rice.) Bring to a boil, then cover, lower heat and simmer 50 minutes. Stir ocasionally. Add more water if needed.
- Let sit 15 minutes before serving.