When the family wants meat and potatoes, this flexible recipe will come to mind. Almost any quick-cooking frozen veggie or combination works well in it. From American Heart Association's "Meals in Minutes"
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar syrup
- 1⁄2 cup frozen nonfat shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn or 1⁄2 cup frozen carrots or 1⁄2 cup frozen green beans
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄16 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together tomato sauce and sugar; set aside.
- Using your hands, break apart beef into 1/2" pieces; layer into baking dish, leaving slight space between pieces.
- Sprinkle beef with all-purpose seasoning, basil, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Top with garlic, onions, tomato sauce mixture, frozen veggies, and potatoes. Pour water over all. Lightly spray potatoes with vegetable oil spray.
- Bake, covered, for 25 minutes, or until beef is no longer pink in center and potatoes are tender.