Top Review by Scott Orlowski
Yummy! Everyone in my family loved it. I substituted pre-packaged pre-shredded mild cheddar cheese for the american cheese, just because it's what I had in the fridge. We also skipped the chili sauce, so I can't comment on that. The mustard in the recipe really gives a pleasing flavor boost. I had a hard time getting six squares out of my pie crust mix (Jiffy). There was just enough pastry, so I couldn't get the last two shaped like squares. Next time, I will use two boxes of pie crust mix and discard the scraps. If you do this however, remember to roll it out thin--about 1/16 inch. It helps to wet the edges of the pastry squares when you pinch the edges together. I served it with homemade mushroom soup and a microwaved bag of frozen mixed vegetables with butter and pepper. The Piroshki was filling--nobody ate more than one.
- 1⁄2 lb beef, ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup process American cheese, shredded (about2 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package pre-made pie crust sticks or 1 package pie crust mix
- 1 teaspoon water
- to taste chili sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook and stir ground beef in 10-inch skillet until brown. Remove beef; drain fat from skillet.
- Cook cabbage and onion in butter in same skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is crisp-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the egg. Stir remaining egg, the beef, cheese, mustard, salt, Worcestershire sauce and pepper into cabbage mixture; reserve.
- Prepare pastry for two crust pie as directed on package, except roll into rectangle, 18 x 12 inches. Cut into six 6-inch squares.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet. Spoon 1/3 cup beef mixture onto each square. Bring corners to center and pinch together; seal edges.
- Blend water and reserved egg; brush over pastry.
- Bake until golden brown, 14 to 16 minutes.
- Serve with chili sauce.