1/1 Photo of Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
Domestic Goddess's Note:
A simple casserole to put together. The main ingredients are: ground beef, shredded cabbage, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, crushed red pepper flakes, salt & pepper, plus grated parmesan cheese. (You can substitute seasoned ground pork sausage for the ground beef, and traditional-style spaghetti sauce for the tomato sauce.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef (or seasoned ground pork sausage)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper, season according to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (for less heat, try 1/4 tsp.)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (or 16-oz. traditional-style spaghetti sauce)
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kraft grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a skillet, brown the ground beef; drain off the excess grease.
- 2Add beef back to the skillet, then add the onion, garlic, salt & pepper, and the red pepper flakes.
- 3Add the tomato sauce, stir and heat the tomato/beef mixture, over low heat.
- 4At this point, set the oven temp to 350 degrees.
- 5Spray the inside of a 2-1/2 quart casserole baking dish, with a no-stick cooking spray.
- 6Add 2 cups of the shredded cabbage to the casserole baking dish.
- 7Add half of the tomato/beef mixture, over the shredded cabbage.
- 8Repeat layer of cabbage and tomato/beef mixture.
- 9Sprinkle casserole with the parmesan cheese.
- 10Cover, and bake in oven for 45 minutes.
- 11Note: I have made this dish substituting seasoned ground pork sausage for the ground beef, and also substituting traditional-style spaghetti sauce for the tomato sauce, which also made for a delicious tasting casserole. The seasoned pork sausage I used, already had salt, coarse cracked pepper, dried sage, and fresh garlic added to it. All was mixed in a meat grinder.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.6
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 17.2 mg
- Sodium 674.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 7.9 g