A simple casserole to put together. The main ingredients are: ground beef, shredded cabbage, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, crushed red pepper flakes, salt & pepper, plus grated parmesan cheese. (You can substitute seasoned ground pork sausage for the ground beef, and traditional-style spaghetti sauce for the tomato sauce.)
- 1 lb ground beef (or seasoned ground pork sausage)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper, season according to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (for less heat, try 1/4 tsp.)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (or 16-oz. traditional-style spaghetti sauce)
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons kraft grated parmesan cheese
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef; drain off the excess grease.
- Add beef back to the skillet, then add the onion, garlic, salt & pepper, and the red pepper flakes.
- Add the tomato sauce, stir and heat the tomato/beef mixture, over low heat.
- At this point, set the oven temp to 350 degrees.
- Spray the inside of a 2-1/2 quart casserole baking dish, with a no-stick cooking spray.
- Add 2 cups of the shredded cabbage to the casserole baking dish.
- Add half of the tomato/beef mixture, over the shredded cabbage.
- Repeat layer of cabbage and tomato/beef mixture.
- Sprinkle casserole with the parmesan cheese.
- Cover, and bake in oven for 45 minutes.
- Note: I have made this dish substituting seasoned ground pork sausage for the ground beef, and also substituting traditional-style spaghetti sauce for the tomato sauce, which also made for a delicious tasting casserole. The seasoned pork sausage I used, already had salt, coarse cracked pepper, dried sage, and fresh garlic added to it. All was mixed in a meat grinder.