Recipe by petlover
traditional Swiss Christmas breads-shaped into santas - adapted from an internet reciipe
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm milk
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- egg yolk, for brushing the dough
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and make a well.
- Add the yeast and warm milk. Mix yeast and milk and cover the bowl with a damp kitchen cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients ( except egg yolk) and mix together to make a soft dough (if too stiff add a bit of warm milk, if too wet add some flour). Knead for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover with a damp kitchen towel and put in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes.
- Punch down. Shape into santas, decorate with raisins, chocolate, almonds, sugar, etc.
- Brush with egg yolk.
- Let rise again until doubled.
- Bake in a preheated 400 oven for about 20-25 minutes ( or more or less) depending upon how big the men are. Done when golden brown.