traditional Swiss Christmas breads-shaped into santas - adapted from an internet reciipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and make a well.
- 2Add the yeast and warm milk. Mix yeast and milk and cover the bowl with a damp kitchen cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- 3Add the remainder of the ingredients ( except egg yolk) and mix together to make a soft dough (if too stiff add a bit of warm milk, if too wet add some flour). Knead for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Cover with a damp kitchen towel and put in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes.
- 5Punch down. Shape into santas, decorate with raisins, chocolate, almonds, sugar, etc.
- 6Brush with egg yolk.
- 7Let rise again until doubled.
- 8Bake in a preheated 400 oven for about 20-25 minutes ( or more or less) depending upon how big the men are. Done when golden brown.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grittibanzen - Christmas Bread Men
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.6
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 55.9 mg
- Sodium 874.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 12.4 g