Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is Nathalie Dupree's easy recipe for the classic and decadent southern comfort food.
Make and share this Grits With Greens and Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- Bring the milk and water to a simmer in a heavy-bottomed nonstick saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the grits and the garlic and bring just to a boil.
- Cook until soft and creamy, adding heavy cream as needed, to make a loose but not runny mixture.
- Add as much butter and cheese as desired, stirring to make sure the cheese doesn't stick.
- Add the shrimp and cook a few minutes more, until pink.
- Fold in the washed and dried greens and remove from the heat. The greens will cook in the hot grits.
This was WONDERFUL!! Thanks Mercy! I did two things differently - I peeled the shrimp skins into the milk and water and simmered for awhile then strained. I also made one substitution - rather than heavy cream I used evaporated non-fat milk. Comfort Food and a Keeper - Thanks!