Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is Nathalie Dupree's easy recipe for the classic and decadent southern comfort food.
Make and share this Grits With Greens and Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- 473.18 ml milk
- 473.18 ml water
- 236.59 ml grits, uncooked
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 59.14-118.29 ml butter
- 236.59-473.18 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 453.59 g shrimp, peeled
- 149.68 g Baby Spinach or 149.68 g turnip greens or 149.68 g arugula
- Bring the milk and water to a simmer in a heavy-bottomed nonstick saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the grits and the garlic and bring just to a boil.
- Cook until soft and creamy, adding heavy cream as needed, to make a loose but not runny mixture.
- Add as much butter and cheese as desired, stirring to make sure the cheese doesn't stick.
- Add the shrimp and cook a few minutes more, until pink.
- Fold in the washed and dried greens and remove from the heat. The greens will cook in the hot grits.
This was WONDERFUL!! Thanks Mercy! I did two things differently - I peeled the shrimp skins into the milk and water and simmered for awhile then strained. I also made one substitution - rather than heavy cream I used evaporated non-fat milk. Comfort Food and a Keeper - Thanks!