Prep 20 mins
Cook 34 mins
Great Brunch Entree
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 lb sirloin, ground
- 1⁄3 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, sliced
- 3 tablespoons green peppers, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Bring water and garlic powder to boil in a large saucepan, stir in grits.
- Return to a boil and reduce heat, cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine flour and cheddar cheese; stir into grits.
- Stir 1 egg into mixture until well blended.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9" pie plate; press with back of a spoon to form a shell.
- Cook beef and taco seasoning mix in a large skillet until meat browns, drain.
- Spread meat mixture into pie shell.
- Top with 3/4 c Monterey Jack cheese, tomato, olives, and green pepper; set aside.
- Combine 2 eggs and milk.
- pour over pie.
- Bake at 375F degrees.
- for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, and let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
I was searching to post and found this recipe unreviewed! We love this quick dish for dinner with a green salad. I usually use a little less extra lean ground beef than what's called for. Thanks, Brawny, for posting!