Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
EASY, savory souffle!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped leek
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup packed grated hot monterey jack pepper cheese, divided (about 4 oz.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Butter four 1 1/4 cup souffle dishes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and leek; saute 3 minutes. Mix in 1 1/4 cups milk and 1/2 teaspoons salt, then grits; bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until thick, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk remaining 1/4 cup milk and yolks in small bowl to blend.
- Remove grits from heat. Stir in yolk mixture, then green onions and 3/4 cup cheese.
- Beat white in medium bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold into grits in 3 additions. Divide mixture among prepared dishes (mixture will come all the way to the top of dishes). Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake souffles until puffed and brown on top, about 18 minutes. Serve immediately.