Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
- 4 slices French bread, cubed (each slice should be about 1 ounce)
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 7 cups boiling water, divided
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (packed without oil)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups vertically sliced red onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked regular grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs; form to measure 1 cup.
- Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and parsley in a bowl; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine 3 cups boiling water and sun-dried tomatoes; let stand 10 minutes or until soft; drain tomatoes over a bowl, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over med-high heat; add in onion, rosemary, crushed red pepper, and garlic; stir/saute 3 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and reserved 1 cup liquid; bring to a boil; cook 7 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and beans.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine 4 cups boiling water, 1 teaspoon salt, grits, and butter in a saucepan; cook 8 minutes over med heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour grits into an 11x7 inch baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Spoon tomato mixture evenly over grits; top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden.