Prep 30 mins
Cook 23 mins
In 'The Muffin Tin Cookbook' by Brette Sember; posted by request
- 1⁄2 cup dry uncooked grits
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 fresh breakfast link sausage, removed from casing
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup shredded muenster cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Cook grits according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375°, and prepare 12 regular muffin cups with foil or silicone liners.
- Mix cream and eggs; stir in a few tablespoons of the hot grits into the cream-egg mixture to temper it, then stir the cream-egg mixture into the remaining grits.
- In a skillet over med-high heat, cook onion and mushrooms in butter, until mushrooms cook down and are soft.
- Add sausage to mushroom mix and cook, stirring to break up the sausage, until it is cooked through.
- Add sausage-mushroom mixture to grits; stir to combine; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cheese and dry mustard, then divide among muffin cups.
- Bake for about 23 minutes, until the cups are set and turning lightly brown on top.
- Serve hot.