Recipe by janem123
This is a family recipe from Rachel, my MIL. It is similar, but not identical, to a few others posted. It has a mellow, smooth flavor and texture. It is good warmed up as leftovers, too, but we rarely have those! I use a mixture of regular cheese and reduced fat cheese,egg substitute, and skim milk when I make it.
Top Review by Felix the Cat
Delicious! and easy to prepare. The real beauty is that you can add a little more or less of any ingredient and it still turns out beautifully. Perfect with a nice western omelet and toast.
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the grits and cook according to package directions.
- When the grits are done, add margarine, cheese, eggs, and milk to the pot. Stirring constantly, cook over low heat until smooth.
- Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with no-stick spray and pour in the grits mixture.
- Bake 50 - 60 minutes at 325 to 350 degrees, until lightly brown on top. Watch the casserole carefully while it is baking to be sure it does not get too brown.
- Let stand for a few minutes before serving.