Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so easy and so good. This can be made early in the day and refrigerated until ready to bake. It is an alternative to spoon bread. I have been making this since 1955. My children did not like spoon bread and when I made this they loved it. It has replaced spoon bread for us.
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup grits
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- Bring milk to a boil and gently stit in grits. Stirring to keep from lumping.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Add butter or margarine; stir until it melts.
- Stir in salt and well beaten eggs
- Pour into well greased 9 inch oven proof dish.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven until top is browning and bread rises, about 30 minutes. ( It should look something like corn bread ).
- Cut into wedges and serve.
shouldn't you mix in 1 tsp baking powder just before puting in the oven? might be kind of hard with just the eggs.