A real Southern treat. Proof that grits are good at any time of day.
Make and share this Grits and Greens recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 small onion, grated
- 5 cups spinach (can use any green desired, or a mix)
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Brown sausage in large skillet.
- Add bell pepper, onion and salt to taste. Sautee 3-4 minutes or until peppers are crisp tender.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine milk and broth in saucpan and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add grits, stirring constantly.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until grits are thickened and tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in butter, black and red pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and add to sausage mixture, combining well.
- Taste and season with more salt if desired.
- Serve immediately.