Recipe by Mercy
A true Southern favorite, grits are often eaten as a hot cereal, but they can also serve as an ingredient in side or main dishes, as this savory pie recipe demonstrates. Try it as a side dish for barbequed chicken or as an entree at Sunday brunch.
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking hominy grits
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 green onions, with green tops thinly sliced
- 1 large egg, beaten (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 (4 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained, patted dry
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Slowly stir in the grits; simmer until thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the cheese, onions, eggs or egg substitute, and pepper sauce.
- Arrange the chiles in a 9-inch pie plate in spoke fashion, with the larger ends against the edges of the plate and the tips toward the center.
- Pour the grits mixture evenly over the chiles.
- Bake 30 minutes or until set.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.