Recipe by Manami
I found this on caribseek.com & "Mountain Made Best Made" by Elizabeth Turnbull. A Haitian favorite and is easily transported! Usually served with Diri et Pois Cole #148364 and Banan Pese #148367 with Picklese #148276.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 lbs pork loin, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice or 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
- 1⁄2 scotch bonnet pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 1 cup strained orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup shallots, finely chopped or 1⁄4 cup finely chopped scallion, white part only
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy 12" skillet, heat oil over moderate heat untillight haze forms.
- Add pork cubes turning frquently, so that they brown richly and evenly, without burning.
- Stir in onion, shallots, orange juice, lime juice, water, salt, pepper and hot pepper.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, cover pan, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, raise heat to high and stir frequently to prevent meat from sticking.
- Cook briskly for 10 minutes, until sauce thickens to syrupy glaze.
- Serve and enjoy!