Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Last night Larkann and I whipped this up instead of going out to eat, which has been the trend lately THese came out great but they seemed a little on the white folk side of mexican so they are called gringo enchiladas... LOL I hope you all enjoy.
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 2 medium onions
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces colby-monterey jack cheese
- 26 ounces enchilada sauce (I use Old El Paso brand green chille sauce)
- 20 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- cilantro leaf
- dried chipotle powder
- finely chop 1 onion
- Saute in heated butter.
- Add chicken and sort of shred it up in the skillet so it can cook a little faster.
- Season with all seasonings to taste throughout cooking.
- cover and let simmer for a little while so the flavors take hold.
- meanwhile pour 1 cup of sauce in a bowl and grade cheddar and colby jack cheeses into the sauce and stir.
- pour a smidge of sauce in the bottom of a 13x9 casserole dish and spread evenly across bottom.
- Take a flour tortilla and line with a small amount of meat then a small amount of cheese/sauce mix roll up and place in dish, repeat until pan is full.
- pour remaining sauce over all enchiladas and top with remaining cheddar and colby jack.
- bake at 350 for 20 minutes remove and top with the other chopped onion or leave as is -- .