Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this long ago from a friend, who got her from her mother, who got it from a firend ... A long time favorite!
- 3 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, medium chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 10 ounces chicken broth
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Cook chicken breasts in microwave until done.
- Cut meat into chunks.
- Set aside.
- Saute onions, garlic, and pepper in margarine over mediuom heat until limp.
- Mix together the canned ingredients and chicken broth.
- Add sauteed ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Tear tortillas into fourths.
- Dip half of the tortilla pieces in the soup mixture and lay them in bottom of a baking dish.
- Cover with half of the soup mixture, then half of the chicken, and half of the cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, until bubbly.
This was really good! I used Sargento shredded Mexican cheese, and less of it, and added some leftover canned green chilies I happened to have on hand. I'll be making this again soon!
I was really skeptical about the broth soup mix, so I used a little less broth than what the recipe called for. I also used less cheese and left shredded cheese out so people could top their serving with more if they wished. It turned out wonderful. My husband thought it was great. He called it one of the top 3 dishes I've fixed. I will make this one again.