1/2 Photos of Grilled Zucchini Tunisian-Style (Vegan Friendly)
For this delicious summertime recipe I combined elements from two separate recipes printed in the cookbook Mediterranean Light: Zucchini Ajlouke (see Ajlouk Qura'a (Mashed-Zucchini Salad)) and Tunisian Zucchini Salad. Assignment: Grill a surplus of vegetables from our CSA box: organic zucchini, yellow summer squash and carrots. If the zucchini you're using is large, go ahead and peel it. Sometimes the peel can be tough on those larger specimens. The carrots were included for color and to add a wee hint of sweetness, too. For vegan version, omit the yogurt or use your favorite non-dairy substitute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb zucchini, approximately (1-inch thick slices and about 4-5-inch long)
- 2 -3 carrots (1/4-inch slices and about 4-5-inch long)
Marinade or Dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tablespoon harissa, to taste (see this super easy homemade version ( Easiest Moroccan Harissa or Hot Sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin or 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- juice of half lemon
- 1Whisk together the marinade/dressing ingredients.
- 2Slice up the vegetables and place on a lined baking sheet or large pan in a single layer.
- 3Brush the marinade/dressing onto the slices of vegetables. Turn over and brush on the other side. If time allows, cover and let sit for 1 hour to allow flavors to intensify.
- 4Heat up a grill or stove top pan grill on medium heat.
- 5Place the vegetables on top and grill on each side until the vegetables have grill marks. The zucchini/squash will probably cook faster than the carrots. The zucchini shouldn't be too mushy but still firm.
- 6Transfer to a serving platter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with the fresh cilantro or fresh parsley. Serve with a bowl of plain yogurt for garnish.
- 7Serve warm or at room temperature. Servings are estimated.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Zucchini Tunisian-Style (Vegan Friendly)
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 111.8
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 34.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: