Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
For this delicious summertime recipe I combined elements from two separate recipes printed in the cookbook Mediterranean Light: Zucchini Ajlouke (see Ajlouk Qura'a (Mashed-Zucchini Salad)) and Tunisian Zucchini Salad. Assignment: Grill a surplus of vegetables from our CSA box: organic zucchini, yellow summer squash and carrots. If the zucchini you're using is large, go ahead and peel it. Sometimes the peel can be tough on those larger specimens. The carrots were included for color and to add a wee hint of sweetness, too. For vegan version, omit the yogurt or use your favorite non-dairy substitute.
- 1⁄2 lb zucchini, approximately (1-inch thick slices and about 4-5-inch long)
- 2 -3 carrots (1/4-inch slices and about 4-5-inch long)
Marinade or Dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 tablespoon harissa, to taste (see this super easy homemade version ( Easiest Moroccan Harissa or Hot Sauce)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin or 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- juice of half lemon
- plain yogurt
- fresh cilantro (FRESH!) or fresh parsley (FRESH!)
- salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- Whisk together the marinade/dressing ingredients.
- Slice up the vegetables and place on a lined baking sheet or large pan in a single layer.
- Brush the marinade/dressing onto the slices of vegetables. Turn over and brush on the other side. If time allows, cover and let sit for 1 hour to allow flavors to intensify.
- Heat up a grill or stove top pan grill on medium heat.
- Place the vegetables on top and grill on each side until the vegetables have grill marks. The zucchini/squash will probably cook faster than the carrots. The zucchini shouldn't be too mushy but still firm.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with the fresh cilantro or fresh parsley. Serve with a bowl of plain yogurt for garnish.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Servings are estimated.
We absolutely love grilled veggies and with our indoor grill (but grilled outdoors to lessen the smoke), it's quick and easy to make them. I used a harissa recipe found on this site that is less spicy than most -- it imparts a lot of flavor, but not a huge amount of heat. This dish turned out really good and I'll certainly make it again! Made for NA/ME, November, 2013.
Extremely easy and very tasty, I do like new ways of doing veggies, especially zucchini, which always seem to be available and affordable here! Thankyou Cookgirl, made for ZWT9, Pink Panthers
I only made the carrots & thought they were wonderful. I used a mandolin to cut the strips and a contact grill which made easy work. The flavors are different and so good paired with the sweet carrots. I'll definitely be making this again! Served with Pan Seared Moroccan Salmon for ZWT9.