Recipe by blucoat
This easy and delicious summer salad recipe is from Gourmet Magazine ( August 2002). Zucchini can also be grilled in a lightly oiled well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat. Cooking time may differ slightly.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
The perfect recipe to showcase the fresh zucchini, crook neck squash and parsley from our garden. I also added a scattering of fresh parsley to the salad right before serving. Served over mixed greens which contained arugula and purslane. Zucchini was grilled on the stove top in a grill pan. Thank you for posting the recipe.
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing zucchini
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 zucchini, halved lengthwise (1 3/4 to 2 lb total)
- 12 ounces arugula (4 cups) or 12 ounces spinach (4 cups) or 12 ounces purslane, thick stems removed (4 cups)
- 10 ounces pears or 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare grill for cooking. If using a charcoal grill, open vents on bottom of grill.
- Make dressing: Whisk together zest, lemon juice, shallot, mustard, and salt in a small bowl. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until dressing is emulsified. Whisk in pepper and parsley.
- Grill zucchini: Lightly brush zucchini all over with oil. When fire is hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 1 to 2 seconds), grill zucchini, cut sides down first, on lightly oiled grill rack, uncovered, turning once, until zucchini are just tender, 8 to 12 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and cool slightly, then cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Toss zucchini with arugula, tomatoes, and dressing in a large bowl. Serve immediately.