Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe from "The BBQ Bible" by Steven Raichlen, which he states this is from Morocco, posting for ZWT6.
- 1 lb zucchini, scrubbed and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 12 large fresh mint leaves, slivered (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Cut the zucchini into 1/4 inch length-wise slices. Brush each with olive oil (you'll need about 1 tablespoons in all) and season with salt and pepper.
- When ready to cook, arrange the zucchini slices on the hot grill, turning with tongs, until tender and well browned, 10 minutes in all. Transfer to cutting board to cool.
- Cut each zucchini slice crosswise on the diagonal into 1/4 inch strips. Transfer strips to a serving bowl and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the mint, parsley, 1 tablespoons lemon juice, garlic, paprika, cumin and 1/4 teaspoons white pepper. Taste for seasoning, adding salt, white pepper, or lemon juice as necessary; the salad should be highly seasoned. Serve at room temperature.
This delicious recipe is very typical of the Mediterranean area, as we have something almost exactly the same in Greece. Having said that, we loved this! It is delicious and you can't make enough zucchini.
Excellent flavor! We made this as part of a North African buffet meal and every bit of it was gobbled up. I will use this recipe often. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Wonderful zucchini dish! I used the oven grill but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. So good with the fresh mint. Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for ZWT 9 / Morocco for The Apron String Travelers