Recipe by Bec
Makes 4 open-faced sandwiches. Be sure to get the nice heavy whole-grain bread, not the airy brown colored "wheat" bread! From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
Top Review by Charlotte J
This was excellent!!!! My new favorite sandwich. I can't wait to share this with my DD in college I know she'll love it too! I cut this done to make 1 sandwich. I grated the onion, minced the garlic, used a heaping 1/8 t of each the basil and Mexican oregano then cooked it all at once. I used Arnold Select Sandwich Thins Multi Grain, 1 Sandwich thin. This came out from under the broiler so delicious. I could have eaten the whole recipe of these! Made for *Healthy Choices ABC Tag 2009* game
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups grated fresh zucchini
- 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, saute onion, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper in olive oil until onion is translucent.
- Add zucchini and saute until soft.
- Spread vegetable mixture on toast.
- Top each sandwich with thin slices of tomato and a sprinkling of 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
- Broil until cheese turns golden.