1/5 Photos of Grilled Watermelon
This is something you need to try (as a side dish, dessert or incorporated into a salad or salsa). You will be surprised to taste that the watermelon is not quite as sweet as you'd think and it's more "meaty". I first had it in Sweden as a side dish and came home looking for the recipe! You can easily turn this recipe into a grilled watermelon salad by serving each wedge on a bed of baby lettuces or arugula, drizzled with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing then sprinkled with a little crumbled feta, blue, or chèvre cheese. Cooking time includes the "resting time" for the watermelon prior to grilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1How to get your watermelon wedges: Cut the watermelon in half, place cut side down on the table, then cut into slices, about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut each slice in half, creating two wedges (if your melon is really big, you may need to cut each slice into three wedges). You can leave the rind on or cut it off, totally up to you.
- 2Lightly sprinkle the wedges on both sides with the salt. Stand the wedges on their edges on a rack over a sink or pan and let them drain for half an hour.
- 3Preheat the grill to high.
- 4After the watermelon has drained, rinse each piece under cold running water. Place each piece between two folded paper towels and gently but firmly press to remove excess water. You should stop just when you feel the watermelon begin to crunch.
- 5Brush the watermelon lightly on both sides with the olive oil. Grill over high heat until grill marks have formed and the melon is slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Remove from grill and sprinkle with sea salt and a little fresh ground pepper.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Watermelon
Serving Size: 1 (3 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 29.8
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: