Recipe by mollypaul
For all the hunters. If the venison is very gamy, marinate up to two days in the refrigerator. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Total marinating time not included in preparation time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 6 venison steak
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the marinade: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Heat mixture to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Marinate game in refrigerator before BBQ'ing.
- To cook venison, place on a lightly greased, preheated bbq grill and broil 7 to 10 minutes per side.
- Season to taste and serve.