Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
Delicious venison burgers with that "just grilled" taste right from your stovetop. Actually they are better cooked in cast iron rather than on the grill. And no one will know they are made from venison! Until I made these burgers, I never liked pre-formed, frozen burgers that I made. Now, my husband and I prefer these to beef burgers, and they are much lower in fat. I keep a supply in the freezer for quick lunches.
- In bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add venison and mix well.
- Add liquid ingredients and mix well with a fork, until bread crumbs are barely noticeable.
- On plastic wrap, form into 8 (4 ounce) patties, making them round and very flat-- like a fast-food burger.
- They can be cooked immediately, but I prefer to freeze them first.
- Place them on a large cookie sheet and freeze them several hours.
- Remove from freezer and place waxed paper between each burger as you stack them.
- I stack them in 2 1-quart freezer zip-lock bags.
- Preheat cast iron skillet to very hot.
- Cook frozen burgers until they are slightly charred on one side (about 3-4 minutes) and then turn and cook until the other side is slightly charred and burgers are medium-well.
- Do not overcook.
- Turn burner off and leave burgers in the pan while you put condiments on your hamburger bun.
- If cooking thawed burgers, cook about 2-3 minutes per side.
One word YUM!!! I'm not a huge fan of venison but I now know what to do with my freezer full. Not gamey at all! Thank you-can't wait to make a big batch to freeze.
I really enjoyed these burgers. The taste was great, I think it was the dry mustard. When I went to make them I didn't have any onions, but they still tasted good. The big shocker was picky eater son, ate the whole thing! That speaks for itself! Thanks for the terrific recipe.
OMG! These are the best venison burgers I have ever tasted. I added some minced garlic to the recipe, just because I love it so much. I make large batches of these and freeze them so that when the craving hits I have them on hand (and yes, I do crave them from time to time).