Recipe by shezashark
Most veggie burgers I have tried just have no taste. This is something I developed for flavor in mind.
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh salt and pepper
- 1 portabella mushroom cap (without stem)
- 1 small red onion, sliced in 1/2 in slices
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup canned chick-peas, mashed
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small carrot, grated on box grater
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush marinade on the mushroom and the red onion slices on both sides and grilled them until they are pliable but still firm about 3 mins a side on med heat. Remove on plate and allow to cool slightly. Dice them in small pieces and add to mixture below.
- Reserve marinade for brushing later.
- Drain rinse and pat dry beans and mash them with a potato masher. Add the carrot, garlic, pepper, ketchup, herbs and egg and mix well. Start adding the bread crumbs a few tablespoons at a time and add until the mixture will stick together without sticking to hands if you roll it.
- Make patties and arrange on plate and put in fridge until ready to cook or you can begin to cook on the grill on medium immediately.
- Brush grill with olive oil and warm it up on med heat. With the leftover marinade brush it lightly on the tops and put this side down first on the grill and brush to tops for when you will flip them. Grill on each side for 4 mins
- Add cheese and whatever other condiments you might like and hope you enjoy.