Recipe by ~Nimz~
We have so many garden vegetables right now and this is a nice way to use up some of them. This would make a nice appetizer or a side dish for a cook out. The sauce makes these little bundles. You may also have some left over zucchini and squash depending on how small they are.
Top Review by Chef Jean
I love the flavor combination! The ham and soy sauce add just enough salt and all veggies taste so good. I did have some trouble keeping them all together, and think I will try them under the broiler to see how that works. Thanks for sharing the cool, tasty recipe!
- 10 slices deli ham, cut in half
- 5 peeled baby carrots, quartered in strips
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- For the sauce combine the last 5 ingredients and set aside.
- In medium saucepan bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add carrots and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add onion and boil another minute.
- Add zucchini and squash and boil for 30 seconds.
- Remove from stove and drain and rinse with cold water.
- On a work surface place 1/2 piece of ham and in the center add 2 zucchini strips, 2 squash strips 1 onion strip and 1 carrot strip. Fold the lower end over the vegetables and then the other end.
- Place bundle on metal skewers with the folded side first and repeat until you have all the ham used up.
- Place them touching each other slightly on the skewers.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Coat the cooking grate with oil.
- Brush each bundle with the sauce and place on grill.
- Cook with lid open for 15-20 minutes until the ham turns slightly brown, basting with the sauce every 5 minutes and turning gently 4 times.
- Remove from the grill and enjoy.