Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This medley of bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and red onion can be served on its own or as a side dish.
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large orange bell pepper
- 1 large zucchini
- 4 baby eggplants
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- freshly cooked cracked wheat (Bulgur)
- tomato and olive relish
- Halve and seed the peppers and cut into even-size pieces, about 1 inch wide.
- Trim the zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, and slice into 1 inch pieces.
- Place the bell peppers and zucchini in a large bowl.
- Trim the eggplants and cut them into fourths lengthwise, then peel the onions, and cut each of them into 8 even-size wedges.
- Add the eggplants and onion to the bell peppers and zucchini.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the olive oil, garlic, and rosemary- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the vegetables and stir to coat evenly.
- Thread the vegetables onto 8 metal or presoaked wooden skewers.
- Arrange the kabobs on the broiler rack and cook under a preheated broiler, turning frequently, for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the vegetables are lightly charred and just softened (Alternatively, cook on a barbecue grill over hot coals, turning frequently, for about 8 to 10 minutes, until softened and beginning to char).
- Remove the vegetable kabobs from the heat and serve immediately with freshly cooked cracked wheat and a tomato and olive relish.
Just prepared this tonight for Sunday dinner along with grilled steak and everyone absolutely loved it. I didn't have eggplant and only had a Spanish onion so used that instead. Also doubled the amount of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and rosemary. I used a vegetable basket to save time, and WOW...the veggies were soooo tasty. Thanks, Bec!