Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These skewers are great at a barbecue and it's easy to double or half the recipe. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (June 2004)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (or substitute other fresh herbs that are available, basil and marjoram are good choices)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or other spicy mustard)
- 2 Japanese eggplants, cut into 1 inch rounds
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1 inch rounds
- 2 yellow squash, cut into 1 inch rounds
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 -10 wooden skewers
- Soak wooden skewers for at leat 30 minutes in water.
- Whisk dressing ingredients (oil- mustard) in a jar and set aside.
- Alternate vegetables (eggplant, zucchini and summer squash) with tomatoes on skewers. Each skewer should hold approximately 6 vegetables (2 of each eggplant, zucchini and summer squash rounds) and 6 tomatoes.
- Arrange skewers on baking sheet while you complete all 10 skewers. Brush skewers with dressing. (If making ahead refrigerate for up to 8 hours- refrigerating dressing and skewers separately) Prepare barbecue (or preheat broiler).
- Brush skewers with dressing, sprinkle with salt and pepper (if desired).
- Grill (or broil) until skewers are tender and charred slightly, turning often (about 10 minutes).
- Transfer to serving platter and brush again with dressing.
These were pretty good, I thought that the dressing went well with the mushrooms and squash but not the other vegetables. It would be better with garlic added in the marinade.
Very good marinade. I made the skewers with onions, green peppers, red peppers, zuchini, yellow squash, mushrooms and tofu. The flavor was very good and a real crowd pleaser (not always easy with veggies and tofu :)
Thanks ellie - I totally forgot how good vegetable kebabs on the BBQ are - in fact I turned down meat for more veggies!! I did cut down on the oil and used veg that I had on hand, capsicum red and green, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, onions and zucchini. Am making again this weekend!