Recipe by Sharon123
I had a wonderful grilled veg. sandwich when I visited the Florida Keys recently with goats cheese. This is similar, minus the cheese. Feel free to add it if you like! From 30 Minute Meals.
Top Review by Diana Johnson || EatingRichly.com
This was SO amazing! Made it as written except using whole wheat bolillo rolls for the bread. It was absolutely delicious and we will definitely make it again.
- 1 Japanese eggplant, sliced on an angle in 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 small zucchini, sliced on an angle in 1/2 thick slices
- 1 red pepper, cut in quarter lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, cut into 4 slices
- 2 portabella mushroom caps
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices crusty sourdough bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 4 pieces red leaf lettuce
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 3 -5 drops hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, skin removed and crushed
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves (flat leaved has most flavor)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or 2 tablespoons scallions
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients (for mayo) in food processor and pulse (or blender).
- Sandwich: Using a pastry brush, brush olive oil on the vegetable slices and the portobello mushrooms.
- Season them with salt and pepper.
- Place vegetables on a hot grill (or under broiler) and cook until they are tender.
- Once vegetables are done brush sliced bread with olive oil and grill (or broil) on both sides.
- To assemble, slice portobellos into 1/4-inch slices, spread both sides of the grilled bread with herbed mayonnaise and then top with 1 slice each of grilled vegetables and a quarter of the mushrooms, and finish off with lettuce and top with remaining piece of bread.