My taste testers described this salad as an 'explosion of flavor' in your mouth . . .starts out subtle and then builds! Note: To simplify preparation, the blanching of the beans and steaming of the potatoes can be done in advance!
- 453.59 g French haricots vert, trimmed (thin green beans)
- 680.38 g new potatoes, washed and cut in half
- 3 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 3 (12 inch) portobello mushroom caps
- olive oil (for basting)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped (optonal)
- 236.59 ml feta cheese, crumbled
- 177.44 ml chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 78.07 ml white wine vinegar
- 9.85 ml whole grain mustard (to taste)
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard (to taste)
- 2 small shallots, diced
- 2.46 ml garlic, minced
- 236.59 ml salad oil (I used red pepper infused olive oil)
- 29.58 ml fresh tarragon, coarsely chopped (and muddled)
- 4.92 ml lemon pepper (to taste)
- 0.25 ml sugar (to taste)
- Chill salad plates.
- Muddle the tarragon with a mortar and pestle (or mash between to tablespoons).
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and mustards. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until well blended. Stir in shallots, garlic and and tarragon. Add lemon pepper to taste.
- BLANCH BEANS:.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rapid boil.
- Drop the beans into the rapidly boiling water and bring back to a boil and cook uncovered for 8 - 10 minutes, testing the the beans after 8 minutes.
- Once desired doneness is reached, immediately drain in colander and run cold water over them to stop the cooking process.
- Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl, toss with 1/4 cup vinaigrette; set aside.
- PREPARE VEGETABLES FOR GRILLING:.
- Salt zucchini and place cut side down on wire rack which has been placed on cookie sheet to collect the water. Allow to sit for 20 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a steamer (or use a microwave steam bag) and steam until partially cooked, approximately 4-5 minutes (less for microwave), Time will vary depending on size of the potatoes.
- To Grill Vegetables:.
- Preheat grill and oil grate (or better yet use a grill pan, which keeps the smaller pieces from going through the grate).
- Place peppers on grill and blacken on all sides; transfer from grill to a covered dish for 10 minutes, then peel the blackened skin off. (Do not run under water as you will lose flavor.) Cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Brush zucchini, onions, mushrooms and potatoes with olive oil.
- Grill over hot coals to desired doneness, approximately 4-6 minutes per side, or until grill marks are apparent on both sides.
- Remove from grill and cool slightly.
- Cut vegetables into 1-inch pieces.
- Place grilled vegetables in large bowl and toss with 1/2 cup vinaigrette; top with green beans (drizzling the vinaigrette over the vegetables).
- Line chilled serving plates with Roamaine lettuce; top with grilled vegetables.
- Crumb feta cheese on top; and garnish with toasted walnuts and tarragon leaves.
- Pass remaining dressing.