Recipe by COOKGIRl
From Mediterranean Light. I prepare this salad in summer when tomatoes and bell peppers are at the peak of freshness. Charring the bell peppers really brings out their sweetness and flavor! The vegetables can also be grilled on the BBQ if you know how to do that...I don't unfortunately. Original recipe did not call for olive oil, but if you want to add a drizzle of it to the end product, be my guest.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Yummy and colourful presentation!! I used more orange bell pepper than the other coloured peppers as it is my favorite in flavour. My tomatoes almost became a mush but that made no lack of taste. I also used less garlic as you do, freshly squeezed lemon juice, sea salt, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, plus the rest of the ingredients. I did my vegetables under broil and served warm. Made for JULY 2011 NA/ME TAG :)
- 3 large ripe tomatoes (any variety, very fresh!)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1 large orange bell pepper
- 6 large garlic cloves, unpeeled (I used 3)
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil (read intro)
Directions See How It's Made
- Broil (or grill) the tomatoes, bell pepper, and unpeeled garlic until uniformly charred.
- Immediately place vegetables in a clean paper bag and seal. Allow to "sweat" for about 15-20 minutes-which helps loosen the skin.
- Once vegetables have been allowed to sweat, remove membrane, seeds and skin from bell peppers, and the skin from the tomatoes and garlic.
- In a non-reactive salad bowl, dice the tomatoes and keep the juice. Dice the bell pepper and finely mince the garlic; add to salad bowl.
- Add the fresh lemon juice, tossing with the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you wish, add a drizzle of olive oil on top of the salad.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.