Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
When I made this I also put some burgers on the grill and also used jalapenos instead of the bell peppers. Recipe source: Martha Stewart Living
For the vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons oregano, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red onion, cut into rings
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered lengthwise
- 8 portabella mushroom caps
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
- 4 slices bread, halved diagonally
For the salad
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 ounces salad greens
- To make the vegetables combine the first 5 ingredients (vinegar - garlic).
- Place vegetables (onion - mushrooms) on a baking sheet and then pour mixture over the vegetables. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Remove vegetables from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables until tender, turning and brushing with reserved marinade (10-12 minutes, but the onions will cook faster).
- Fill mushrooms with cheese and grill until cheese melts (under 1 minute).
- Grill bread until toasted (under 1 minute).
- Make salad by whisking together the dressing ingredients (oil - pepper) and 3 tablespoons of reserved marinade.
- Place greens salad bowl and toss with dressing.
- Serve with vegetables and toast.
Fun salad! We enjoyed the blend of grilled vegetables with some mixed greens. The balsamic flavor was nice, with a great little kick. Thanks for sharing! Veg*n Swap 24
We really enjoyed this with our steaks last night. I did add some jalapenos along with the red bell peppers but other than that made as directed. Really liked the red pepper flakes for that little zip we like. May change the dressing around next time. Used spring mix greens that went well with the grilled veggies. Thanks