Recipe by David Lettvin
This is a simple grilled vegetable salad that is limited only by ingenuity. Further ingredients could include green peppers, red peppers, scallions. onions, asparagus, etc. An alternative to serving this as salad is to pile it on Italian or French bread and serve as open-faced sandwiches. If you are not vegetarian, you could also add steak or chicken strips. Someone has suggested
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 zucchini
- 3 summer squash
- 1 head garlic
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 bunch oregano
- extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice eggplant, zucchini, and summer squash into 1/4 inch slices.
- Put a layer of eggplant in a deep dish and salt it.
- Add another layer and salt it.
- Continue until eggplant is all salted.
- Let the eggplant sit for 2-3 hours occasionally draining liquid.
- Fire up the grill.
- Pour olive oil into a shallow flat-bottomed bowl and use it to coat both sides of each slice with olive oil.
- Put slices on grill.
- Grill till grill marks are prominent.
- Remove slices and let cool.
- Slice each flat slice into 1/2-1 inch strips.
- Place in a wide shallow bowl (see above).
- Drizzle a good amount of olive oil over the strips (You should have excess oil in the bottom of the bowl).
- Add garlic and herbs to taste.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to marinate for 30-60 minutes.